What If Copyleft Was Written Into Law?
Consider what would happen if lawmakers around the world decided to add the copyleft concept to copyright law.
1. Automatic copyleft, not copyright.
2. To get copyright, works would have to be marked copyright and registered.
3. Copyleft works could draw freely from works in the "public domain" (works never in copyright and works no longer in copyright.
4. Copyright works that draw from the public domain would be assessed a percentage fee to fund the arts.
5. All copyright works would be assessed a fee to pay for the functioning of the copyright apparatus. (Copyleft works exempt.)
6. All copyright works currently under a bona fide Free copyleft license would automatically become legal copyleft works.
7. All copyright works currently under a bona fide Free permissive license could elect to become legal copyleft works.